Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Episode 7x02 "For Love and Apartments"

Sigh. I hope this review doesn't ruin your New Year's Eve.


Even though we ended the last episode with Shawn agreeing to go to Pittsburgh, we begin this episode with him not wanting to go anymore. I'll level with ya here Shawnie, I don't wanna go either. Topanga and Angela show up to "get the rest of [their] stuff," which presumably is in the room they lived in. It's needlessly antagonistic to just waltz into Cory's room like this.

Cory tries to cheer everyone up, but it doesn't work and Topanga takes it personally because she sucks. Then Angela, with absolutely no basis for saying it, looks at Shawn and goes "I just can't be in a relationship right now." Yeah, he knows, Angela, did you just come here to shove it in his face again? This is awful. Shawn resolves that he'll do anything to get Angela back, so the two boys head off to Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, Eric and Jack are hanging out in what used to be Topangela's dorm. The girls never show up to get their stuff, so I don't understand what they were doing here in the first place. The boys have way too much to say about the Backstreet Boys poster on the wall, so they both decide it's time to leave. I 'on't care. Do you care? Here's a picture of a bunny.


We find Jack and Eric at Brew Lagoon asking Feeny for advice. He suggests they stand up to the "bullies", the three girls. And that's what they're gonna do. And I'm not looking forward to it.

Cory and Shawn have arrived in Pittsburgh and are preparing to start meddling. Shawn suggests that they first figure out why Mama and Papa Lawrence split up in the first place, a stunning display of insight- but Cory swats down that idea immediately because he doesn't think it matters. This is fucking ridiculous. At the very least, we get the first use of the phrase "Topangela" in the show.


So that's nice.

Jedediah Lawrence invites the boys in, though he doesn't seem happy to see Shawn for an as yet unexplained reason. He's played by a new actor, so this is the third incarnation of Jed that we've seen. He doesn't even have the same hair color, it's like they just picked the first guy who walked in to the audition. Cory is so super duper condescending in this scene, it makes me furious. He's explaining how he believes in love and love's purpose, and that Jed has "forgotten" how love works. "I'm eighteen and have had one long term girlfriend who I almost cheated on once so you better listen to me, buster."

It looks like Jed might be coming around, but then we learn that Rhiannon is the one who kicked him out. I guess the boys just sort of assumed it was the other way around. So we hop over to Rhiannon's place, and she's played by a new actress with a different hair color. Cory starts spitting his usual spiel, but it's not getting him anywhere.


Boom, done, case closed, can we all go home? Cory is insufferable right now. He's acting like it's impossible to fall out of love, even though that's exactly what happened with Rachel and Jack, and Cory didn't seem to care one lick about that.



Who could have possibly read this script and said "yeah this is fine let's put this on tv." Is it supposed to be endearing? Or cute or romantic? WHAT IS IT? WHAT IS HE SUPPOSED TO BE THAT I'M NOT GETTING?

You know, I ate a can of Chunky soup about two hours ago, and I'm already hungry again. It's delicious but it goes right through me...

So Cory sort of fibs that Jed really wants to sit down and talk with Rhiannon, so she agrees to see him. At The Apartment, Eric and Jack demand the apartment back which is stupid since Jack willingly gave it up in the previous episode. Jack says that the girls are just bullies and that he's never backed down from a bully, EXCEPT WHEN HE BACKED DOWN AND GAVE THEM THE APARTMENT.

Topanga challenges the boys to a "steel cage match" for The Apartment. The boys decide that they're afraid of Topanga just because she crushes a soda can on her forehead.


As absurd as this situation is, that is probably one of Jack's funniest moments, just because he completely nails the timing, gesturing, and facial expressions. Doesn't matter though, since the professional wrestler Mankind breaks down the door to The Apartment and offers to be the referee.

.......Yup. Alright.

 So the fighting starts with Rachel taking a swing at Jack. I don't know why Rachel's fighting since she gets to live here regardless. Jack doesn't want to hurt Rachel, but she has no problem slamming his face into a plate of hamburgers a few times. Yeah you read that right. Rachel tags out to Angela, who also slams Jack into the table. Things aren't going very well.


This is pretty damn stupid, but Mankind has a funny voice, so that almost makes it enjoyable for me. Has any other sitcom featured professional wrestlers? We've had like twenty on Boy Meets World. It's weird. Whatever. The girls win. Also the door isn't broken anymore.

Jed shows up at Rhiannon's place, It looks like some Hollywood Magic might get these two back together, but thankfully Boy Meets World remembered that it's not supposed to be bull shit. We learn that Jed's in love with someone new, and even though he and Rhiannon reach a level of amiability here, they're still as divorced as ever.


Then all of this would happen.

Jokes aside, that line is pretty awesome. I talk about this every time it comes up, and we haven't had one in a while, but I love those moments of self awareness where someone (usually Cory) says that they don't know anything. I said in the past that it's a recurring theme, and as you can see, I wasn't making shit up.

At some point in the near future, we find everybody in a classroom a few minutes before class starts. Cory admits to Topanga that they went to see her parents, and of course her immediate reaction is to take personal offense and get angry at him.


FINALLY. Thank you, Shawn. Jeeeeeeeesus, it's about time.

Shawn explains that Cory did everything for her, and she cools down. Cory admits that "sometimes love just dies" and Topanga doesn't want to speak with him further. Taking their seats, Cory tells Shawn "Now it's over."


Well in all reality it should be over at this point. This is definitely new though, with Cory finally accepting it. That alone is enough to convince a first time viewer that this might actually be happening, which, if nothing else, makes a powerful statement about Cory's character.

During the credits, Mankind hangs out with Jack and Eric and I guess it's probably funny for people who follow wrestling.

Plot: 0.25 - The only reason I didn't give it zero is because Rhiannon and Jed didn't get back together. I would have given up on the series however many years ago if Cory had been successful.

Character Development: 0.5 - Cory believes that his relationship with Topanga is over. I would give it the full point if I didn't know that it's only temporaryAnd also the "What if we don't know anything?"

Humor: 0.5 - Mankind, Eric, and Jack were okay.

Life Lesson: 0.5 - Sometimes, love just dies.

1.75 out of 4.0. It had some redeeming qualities, but not nearly enough. The whole wrestling scene lasted wayyyyyy too long, it was obvious they were stretching for content. The whole thing is devoid of content, really. Cory is the most naive he has ever been, and it's almost painful to watch. It's certainly annoying and frustrating. And as I explained in the last review, the whole apartment situation is fucking ridiculous. I really want this arc to be over.

There's been a lot of talk in the comments about Season-7-Eric, and at this point I'm still undecided. He had to deal with stupid nonsense situations in this episode, so I don't think it's fair to judge yet.

Thanks for reading, see you in 2015.

All images used under Fair Use.

36 comments :

  1. I hate this episode. I really hate it. If someone asked me to pick a least favorite episode, off the top of my head, it'd be this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's got pretty much everything bad about the show except for a bad child actor. I think I'll live the rest of my life without ever watching this one again.

      Delete
    2. Same. Honestly, man, you're in for a bad stretch. Every episode until the wedding/honeymoon/aftermath of being married ones are absolutely dreadful. The second half of Season 7 isn't quite so terrible though.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I can't wait for Angela's dad to get way too involved in her personal life tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. So much awful in this one. It reaches the rare plateau where you are annoyed with Topanga for getting mad at Cory for seeing her parents since she's been on his case for just about everything, but you kinda agree Cory's an idiot for getting in their business and telling middle age adults what love is all about.

    As a wrestling fan, especially in that time period, it was fun to see Mankind for a moment. The whole "wrestling" was so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It woulda been cool if Vader showed up instead, but yeah Mankind was fun.

      Delete
  3. KBM, I'm pretty drunk, but thank you for writing these reviews. I know this episode is awful, but I'm drunk alone at my parents' on New Years and I just found out that my ex has a new boyfriend, and realizing that I had a Boy Meets World review to read has been the only highlight of this awful New Years' Eve. I hope Season 7 is better for you in 2015, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww this is so endearing

      Delete
    2. Don't feel bad, I am drinking alone and playing Oblivion. I love you too.

      Delete
    3. Awww. I was also looking forward to this review and was drinking alone for a while. My relationship crapped out and is about to end, I think.

      Delete
    4. Also, I swear I'm not a sadist, but I particularly enjoy reviews of shitty episodes. I mean, I enjoy reviews of shitty media in general, though.

      Delete
    5. There is a certain amount of fun in talking about how terrible something is.

      Delete
    6. Yes! Have you ever seen Full House Reviewed? The guy who wrote that makes fun of the show and it's hilarious.

      Delete
    7. Yeah, that's where I got the idea for this blog. It was funny the first few times I read it, but then I realized that every post is exactly the same.

      Delete
  4. I'm a bit drunk as well (but I'm drinking alone, I'm not partying or anything) but I just want to say, great review. In regards to season 7-Eric, while he's funny, I just hate how his character was ultimately destroyed and he was just turned into an absolute retard. I like Peter Tork's hippie incarnation of Topanga's dad the best because that's what I imagine him to be. A bit of a hippie. And I like this incarnation of Topanga's mom the best because she's like Topanga. She's smart, rational and it makes sense that Topanga might have been more like her dad when she was younger and later her mom rubbed off on her and that's why she's who she is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Peter Tork completely nailed it, and this mom is better too, I agree. If only she could tell her daughter how ridiculous she's being.

      Delete
  5. Now, I can understand Topanga not wanting to marry Cory (because who would want to get married at the same time as their parents' divorce), but her breaking her relationship with Cory off completely is just fucking ridiculous. You read my mind so much in this review. Everything I thought about this episode, you said. Expect for Rachel and Jack being in love. I don't think Jack and Rachel were in love, all they did was kiss. It felt like a physical, friends-with-benefits relationship to me. Besides they only dated for like three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree, I thing "in love" goes too far in describing Jack and Rachel. They really didn't date long and it didn't feel like it got that heavy.

      Delete
    2. You two are probably right. In the moment I thought I remembered them both saying to the other that they love them in the heat of one of those makeout scenes or something.

      Delete
  6. The tone of the apartment wrestling scene makes it feel like Married with Children or another similarly cartoonish sitcom. I'm pretty sure MWC also has random unexplained celebrity cameos like that. While I personally can't stand MWC, at least that tone fits with the premise of the show, where horrible people constantly do nasty things to each other. It does not fit with the tone of Boy Meets World at all. It also felt like they were going for cheap "Ha ha! Boys are getting beat up by girls!" laughs which I hate. I think that scene was one that really made me question, "WTF happened to this show?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going through a divorce case is very heart broken when you love your partner with the whole of your heart.. My husband left me for a total stranger and I could not imagine what the hell was happening because everything looks like a dream to me. I was lost and confused about my life without any way to get a solution to make my husband see reasons with me that I love him so much. I was very depressed and desperate to win back my husband and I searched on GOOGLE for help about my situation and I got recommended to Lord Zakuza who is a powerful spell caster for he has so many magnificent testimonies and reviews on the internet from different people all over the world. I got in touch with him and I poured out my sorrowful heart to him and he encouraged and promised to help me out. He gave me some instructions of which a adhered to and within 48 hours of contacting Lord Zakuza my attorney called me to get me informed that the divorce case has been cancelled and I got a call from my husband 30 minutes after I finished speaking to my attorney. My husband and I are so much in Love with endless care and happiness and I so much thank Lord Zakuza for doing this for me and I know people out there might also need their partner or lovers back or want to get pregnant for your partner or husband. So, you can Text & WhatsApp Lord Zakuza on +1 740-573-9483 or email him via: ( Lordzakuza7@gmail.com ) for a change of story in your love life. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It breaks my heart to know that people are hurting so badly that they are desperate to get their love lives back. For anyone hurting right now, I want you to worry no more for your Ex lover/partner will come back to you so you can feel whole again and I truly mean that... When my wife left me, Lord Zakuza was the man I contacted that helped me to get my wife back with his powerful spell within 48 hours and I can never forget the day I meant Lord Zakuza for he's spells perform GREAT MIRACLES. Get in touch with Lord Zakuza now for he's like a God on earth that can get your EX lover back within 48 hours with his powerful spell. WhatsApp and text him through this number +1 740 573 9483

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking for your love life back, that person that you love and can’t let go off? Well I know a person who is good at what he does and a person that keeps his word to get you and your husband, wife, partner back together for good and that is LORD ZAKUZA! I lost my partner and we have been together almost 5 years and was going REAL good!! My partners family had something to do with us breaking apart and I felt like I couldn’t go on in life because my partner meant the world to me! I cried and couldn’t sleep nor eat but I never gave up on my partner! I started researching and I was reading numerous articles about LORD ZAKUZA and how his love spells work and you could get your partner back within 24 to 48 hours I contacted LORD ZAKUZA and told him everything that was going on and he told me not to worry at all! I followed and did everything that he told me to do and within 24 hours after he did his work my partner was back in my arms and I am the happiest person on this earth he got my love life back and I feel like a brand new person. Trust me he is certainly the best and he also does fertility spells to get pregnant for your partner. He’s on WhatsApp with this number +1 740 573 9483 and on Email via lordzakuza7@gmail.com you can contact him..

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is lilian N.This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help Dr.saguru has rendered to me by helping me get my ex husband back with his magic and love spell. i was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr.saguru email on the internet on how he has helped so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship.and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has changed totally for good. He always wants to be by me and can’t do anything’s g without my present. i am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr.saguru is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT DOCTOR SAGURU NOW VIA EMAIL: drsagurusolutions@gmail.com He is the only answer to your problem and make you feel happy in your relationship.and his also perfect in
    1 LOVE SPELL
    2 WIN EX BACK
    3 FRUIT OF THE WOMB
    4 SPELL PROMOTION
    5 SPELL PROTECTION
    6 BUSINESS SPELL
    7 GOOD JOB SPELL
    8 LOTTERY SPELL and COURT CASE SPELL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This year has been so blissful to me for God has given me a reason to live happily again after been heart broken for 3 months when my husband neglected me and went back to he's mistress. I suffered and went through all types of emotional tortures for I couldn't get any help to get my man back not until I was refereed to Lord Zakuza by my co-worker who gave me her full assurance about him that he can be of help to me. I got in touch with Lord Zakuza and I hearken to his words and followed the instructions given to me by him. Could you believe that my husband got back home within 48 hours as said by him and today, my marriage is restored & I'm so thankful, appreciative & grateful to God for using Lord Zakuza to get my man back after 3 months of broken marriage. Is there anyone out there who needs to get back to he's or her lover back or needs any help of any kind? Then, I suggest that you get in touch with Lord Zakuza now through his Email ID: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on + 1 (740) 573–9483 for more information. God bless you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT LORD ZULU ON WHATSAPP DIRECTLY +1 (424) 361 7554
    My boyfriend broke up with me 8 months ago, because he felt I was cheating on him with a male friend of mine, I tried all I could to explain to him but he paid deaf ears, i was emotionally devastated because I really loved him until I saw a post on the internet about LORD ZULU, who helps people gain back their lost lover, at first I doubted if it was real because I never believed in such things but I decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a Love spell for me The process of the spell to reunite lovers is very simple and he works selflessly, to people the same way he restored my relationship within 48 hours and my boyfriend was calling and begging to make up with me again, if you need help to reaffirm your relationship or marriage problem. Here’s his contact,
    EMAIL (allsupremepow...@gmail.com)
    or call him on WhatsApp +1 (424) 361 7554

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I've been searching for help on how to get my ex lover back that broke up with me 2 years ago.. I was traumatized by the break up and nearly wanted to commit suicide but I thank God that I got the contact of LORD ZAKUZA the spiritual father that helped me to get back my ex lover after much searching of help from different places. When I got in touch with LORD ZAKUZA, I explained everything to him to he gave me his words of encouragement and told me that he was going to prepare a spell for me that will help me get back my ex lover within 48 hours and I believed in his words for I was referred to him by a friend who he helped and right now, my ex lover is back and we are living happily together to get married next month. If you need any assistance whatsoever like getting cured from sickness, getting pregnant E.T.C. Then, I suggest that you get in touch with LORD ZAKUZA now through his WhatsApp him on + 1 (740) 573–9483 or Email: lordzakuza7@gmail.com I'm forever grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lord Bubuza is spiritually gifted and he is perfect in solving relationship issues with his spell. I sent my wife packing because I cut her cheating on me, I was hurt but I didn't want to lose her so I searched for help on the internet and I saw how people were testifying and thanking Lord Bubuza. Some thanked him for reuniting their relationship, canceling their divorce, winning the lottery, Cured cancer, ETC so I contacted him via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396 and told him my problems. He responded and promised to help me with his spell, I provided all he requested and I was overwhelmed because my wife came back crying and begging me on her knees to forgive and accept her back and ever since I forgave her, she has stopped cheating. Lord Bubuza Can help you too. Contact him via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396 or via e-mail: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  15. A big thanks to Dr Oselumen i never believe that there still exist a real death spell caster after all this years of disappointment from the enormous spammers on the Internet who go about scamming people, until i was opportune to meet Dr Oselumen a real spell caster, through a close friend called Jennifer who Dr oselumen had helped before, when i contacted him with his email via droselumen@gmail.com i explain how my ex have been giving me problem in my marriage, she never allowed me a moment of peace, and i need to end it by killing her, and i don't want to make use of assassin because it will be risky so i needed to do it in a spiritual way that's why i decided to contact him, he assured me not to worry as i have contacted the right person at the right time, i co-operated with him and in less than a week my ex was dead, she slept and never woke up all thanks to Dr Oselumen indeed he's really a humble man. you can contact dr oselumen for any death spell, such as to kill your superior in the office and take his or her place, death spell to kill your father and inherit his wealth ,death spell to kill anyone who have scammed you in the past ,spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back, if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him now via Email droselumen@gmail.com call or add him on whatsapp +2348054265852.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very happy today with my family. My name is rose sarah living in USA, My husband left me for a good 3 years now, and i love him so much, i have been looking for a way to get him back since then. i have tried many options but he did not come back, until i met a friend that darted me to Dr.Tebe a spell caster, who helped me to bring back my husband after 2 weeks. Me and my husband are living happily together today, That man is great, you can contact him via email nationlovespell@gmail. com Now i will advice any serious persons that found themselves in this kind of problem to contact him now a fast solution without steress.. He always hello, now i call him my father.contact him now he is always online email ( nationlovespell@gmail. com ) or contact him on his whatsapp mobile line +2348140544262

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life has not been easy with me after my marriage was broken when my husband filled for a divorced but I thank God for using Lord Zakuza who's like a God on Earth to get my broken marriage restored with his powerful spell. I suffered for depression for 6 months but today, I am so happy for getting to know Lord Zakuza for his spell has really made me to believe that of a truth spells are real and they work. I adhered to every bit of instructions given to me by Lord Zakuza for he promised me that he will make me happy and proud and really, all that happened and my husband came back to me with his knees on the ground begging me for forgiveness within 48 hours after I got in touch with him and now we are perfectly bonded again for life. I can boldly say to everyone out there that Lord Zakuza spells is really the best and most powerful. I'm forever grateful to him till the end of time. So, you can get connected with him on this number +1 (740) 573-9483 via WhatsApp/Call or Email via: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many people have lost their lives because of the doctor report, doctor is not God and they do not have the final say about your health report so do not believe the doctor, they only say what they know and that is not final. i almost committed suicide because i was told have human papillomavirus and also there is no cure for it, but today i am 100% healed and healthy of doctor Osasu herbal medicine, i have refer several people to this herbal doctor for cure and he has never fail. contact doctor Osasu today on his cure for hpv or hsv and your life will be back again whatsapp/call... +2347064365391 or his email drosasu25@gmail.com Please share as you read okay, you may save a soul today. Natural herbs are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tanya Douglas
    Have you heard of Lord Bubuza? he is a god on Earth. He saved my marriage 11 years ago with his spell. My husband filed for a divorce and it was very embarrassing, shameful and heartbreaking, I started seeking for help on the internet when I saw different testimonies where people appreciated lord Bubuza for helping them restore their relationship so I contacted him for help and he responded and promise to help me restore my marriage with his spell. I did as he instructed me and a few hours later my husband came back begging me on his knees to forgive him and accept him back. He canceled the divorce, It is 11 years now and we are still happily married. I will keep appreciating Lord Bubuza because he is a God on Earth. He can help you too. Contact him via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com or website: https://lordbubuzamiraculouswork.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. How my Aunt got back her Husband with the help of Dr. Irurulay. +234 7045410079

    Get your ex back with the help of Dr. Irurulay who helped my Aunt to bring back his husband who left her and her kids to suffer for a year for no reason all her effort to try and reach him to no avail then a friend gave her the contact of Great Dr. IRURULAY. so she mails him about her problem and he assures her that in less than 72 hours, her husband who left her and the kids will come begging just has he said 72hrs later her husband called her asking her to forgive him that he can't explain why he left the family to suffer am happy he is back with more love for my Aunt and the kids. If you're suffering from depression or any kind of problem you can contact him. Email: drIrurulay@gmail.com
    Call/WhatsApp +2347045410079

    ReplyDelete
  21. This blog is really helpful due to being informative and the nice description you have provided. Thank you for this blog. Keep posting this type of stuff. Users may also check projects in affordable properties in Bangalore.

    Godrej Splendour Bangalore
    Godrej Group

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jack: My name is on the lease, hit the road.

    Problem solved

    ReplyDelete