Friday, February 27, 2015

Episode 7x23 "Brave New World (Part 2)"

Figured I'd bring back the classic.


The "Last Time on Boy Meets World" not only shows us clips of the previous episode, but also bits of the flashbacks from the last episode. It's pretty unnecessary. It's not a big deal, obviously, but any time they spend showing other flashbacks could have been used to show parts of Eric's journey to college instead. Like, if they were hurting for content, they should have shown that! I'll never let that go, I'm sorry.

The first actual exchange of the episode is between Eric and Alan. Russ does his "hiding how sad I am" voice to tell Eric that he won't miss him. I don't know where that leaves us. It seems like they want me to believe that the total parent-to-son disrespect of the last two seasons was all in good fun, that they were always just messing with each other. But I don't believe that for a second. What makes it harder is the clip reel showing us the best moments between Alan and Eric from Security Guy and Raging Cory. Amy gets the same treatment with clips of their creative writing class together in How To Succeed In Business. Eric had awesome relationships with his parents up through season 5, but then right at the beginning of season 6 (episode 3, in particular) they go out of their way to avoid him at Pennbrook, "He doesn't know we're here does he?" And it continues like that for two seasons. The previous episode, part 1 of the series finale, used Amy's lack of caring about Eric as a punchline, and what, now I'm supposed to forget all of that? Sorry, can't do it. Those clips were all awesome, it's just hard to reconcile them with the way Eric's been treated lately.


You may not know this, but big daddy rocks.

Next up is Jack and Shawn. They barely have any brother moments, so instead of clips we get Chet's ghost showing up in here in the kitchen while the boys talk. Unlike his previous appearances, neither Jack nor Shawn can actually see or hear his ghost. And honestly that makes it even weirder. It means that every time Chet talks, Shawn and Jack are just pausing their conversation and staring at each other.

Jack admits that he admires Shawn for his "money doesn't matter" way of life, and this admission inspires Jack to join the Peace Corps with Rachel. One of the comments (I would say who, but I can't seem to find it now...) suggested that Jack was being sarcastic when he said he wanted to join the Corps in the previous episode. I thought that at first, but then Jack adds on a point about sticking it to his stepfather, which made me think he was serious. This scene, however, pretty much guarantees that he wasn't being serious the first time.


Rachel comments "You're giving up your stepfather's money..." He was already cut off, but I guess she means that he's giving up the chance to get it back by working with his stepfather. I don't know. Chet is incredulous that Jack would give up that kind of money. I have to reiterate how weird it is. Watch this scene and imagine that every time Chet speaks, it's just silence in the kitchen. They're all just kind of looking at each other.

Chet is always funny and it's wonderful that they got him for this episode. After his tirade about money, he realizes how proud he is of his boys.


It is kind of unsatisfying that they can just bring Chet back whenever they want and have him state explicitly how he feels. Like I said, it's always nice to see him, but it cheapens his death in my opinion.

Arite here's the scene that no one likes. I don't wanna watch it. I've got ten minutes left in the very last episode and I still can't bring myself to watch it. Gotta check reddit, watch an episode of Friends, oh hey House of Cards new season, better watch a couple of those...

Why is Michael Jacobs's kid here? Joshua should be just over a year old, but here he is at least 3 or 4. Maybe they induced a miracle so that Joshua could have a conversation with Cory? Well then they shouldn't have used this kid because he doesn't know how to say his lines. He doesn't really even have any, he just says "okay" and "yeah" and stuff, it's so fucking difficult to watch. If they wanted a scene where Cory just talks at Joshua, they should have used the correct-age baby Joshua. He would have said exactly as many coherent things as Jacobs's son did.


STOP LOOKING AT THE CAMERA. STOP RUINING THE FINALE OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS. And don't blame it on his age. Original Morgan was Meryl Streep compared to this guy. Maybe they just didn't have the budget for literally anyone else, so they had to use him. A mystery for the ages.

It's a shame because I like what Cory has to say here about growing up, but it's just so hard to focus with this kid's completely insane facial expressions. It worked in 7x09 when he "saw dead people" because he was supposed to be creepy. He's doing pretty much the exact same thing here in this scene, it's such a mess. I have no idea how this happened.


That line makes it all worth it though.

Everybody makes their way outside to the patio (Joshua is inside for good now) and oddly enough, Rachel and Jack head off without a word. The others are going somewhere very mysterious where "he" will be waiting, and Cory is left to say goodbye to his family.

We get a couple clips from season 1 between Cory and Alan. This pairing deserved better treatment. As Cory says goodbye to Morgan, she gets two clips as well, and they take up about the same amount of time as Alan's. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I do like what they did with Morgan though. She doesn't try to be snarky or funny, she just tells Cory to take care of himself. Definitely the right way to go.


It's time for the last scene in Mister Feeny's classroom. Feeny himself enters first, followed by Topanga, Cory, Shawn, and Eric. The first three take the same seats they always had in high school, which is just beautiful. The decision to leave out Jack, Rachel, and Angela was entirely necessary and hardly needs mentioning. It wasn't even much of a decision, I think everyone knew this is how the last scene had to look.

The students ask Feeny if he has anything left to teach them, and he explains that he does not, and that they're all ready to go meet the world. He does have some parting advice for them though.



That is my favorite Feeny line in the entire series, and perhaps the most inspirational moment I've ever seen on television. A lot of that comes from the lack of cliches. There's no "you can be anything," or "you can have anything if you work hard enough," or "the power of love," none of that. Just very real, personal advice, Hearing "try" makes me think back to The Eskimo where the students thought Feeny just wanted Shawn to try, but that wasn't so. The trying was meaningless if Shawn didn't also believe in himself and dream of something bigger. And in Security Guy, Eric certainly had the dream of going to college, but he needed to believe in himself and try as well. We can look at Topanga's recent journey as well. She believed in herself and tried as hard as she could, but she also needed the dream of something bigger (this job in new york) in order to keep growing. There are other examples, but you get the point. You gotta have all three. That line from Feeny is perfect. And of course doing good speaks for itself.

As Eric says, there's only one thing left to take care of.


I have to point out that Feeny told Eric he loved him back at Feeny's wedding, but rather than detracting from this scene I think it just adds to that scene at his wedding.

It's time for everyone to hug Mister Feeny and say goodbye. The actors are all crying at this point, as am I. I think it was Rider who said that they only did one take of this because everyone was crying for real. It's all overwhelmingly emotional. I doubt I'll ever be able to watch this without getting choked up. Topanga and Cory both have nice things to say, but Eric's and Shawn's lines stand pretty high above the other two since they had real development arcs with Feeny.


Feeny offers Shawn a handshake but Shawn goes for the hug instead, it's a nice touch. Obviously I have to mention City Slackers. You see that moment and you want to go watch City Slackers, and then The Eskimo, and everything in between. Rider is completely falling apart here, it adds this raw power that you can't get just by acting. It tears me apart, every time.


The audience laughs when he says "I blame you for that" but it kinda just... makes me cry... I think it's way more emotional than funny. But that's fine. Eric has thanked Feeny for his help getting into college on multiple occasions, and it's been two seasons since then, so this was the right thing to do, to look at how Feeny has affected Eric's future rather than his past.

Cory's up last, and there's really not much there except for Feeny revealing that his real name is Cornelius. They have a wonderful goodbye hug, and once the students have all left, Mister Feeny gives the last line of the series.




And there we have it. Everyone loves this episode despite the Joshua nonsense, and it's not hard to see why. It drags out every emotion that a series finale should. As I said in the last post, a lot of series have a climax in their finale, and then a rushed conclusion in the last few minutes. This finale was all ending, all closure. It's damn close to perfect. This last scene is definitely the best scene of the season, and one of the best of the series. It captures that feeling from the earlier seasons, and that's no surprise since it was so focused on school life. 



I'm going to make a sort of Epilogue post tomorrow. I'll talk about my final thoughts on the series as a whole, and on the blog and the future. There will probably be a few top 10 or top 5 lists, and I'm excited to see your own lists and final thoughts in the comments. I've also got some news about a project for Girl Meets World that I'm looking to be involved with. A lot of you have had really kind words as we reached the end, and that means the world to me. If you want to add your own, I would absolutely love to see them, and I love everything that's been said so far, but I'd prefer to see it on the post tomorrow, if that's okay. Just so we can talk about this episode on this post.

I hope to see you all on that post tomorrow! Either way, thank you for reading.

I'm gonna get Pizza Hut to "celebrate."

42 comments :

  1. The Jacobs kid does suck, but even his weird existence can't kill that scene for me. "Now I get it," is just so good.

    I like that they put Rider back in his stupid leather jacket one last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! yeah, it seemed so natural that I didn't really think about it, but that jacket is pretty iconic.

      Delete
  2. "I love you all. Class dismissed". Perfect line for Feeny to say at the end, right, Confidence? Just goes to show ho much cares about his students, even if he doesn't always say it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I really love how you keep bringing up how great that there's not much of a climax and I couldn't agree more. They give the show a gentle, but totally real heartfelt ending and I think there's something so genuine and perfect about that.

    I know people look down on this show and write it off as just a sitcom, or even just a family sitcom, but this really is one of the finest finales in television history and proves this was a truly great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it gets written off by a lot of people who don't understand. It looks like another adolescent sitcom on the surface, and the name of the show is kinda... weird... I only ended up watching it for the first time because it was on right before Grounded For Life one summer.

      Delete
  4. That final scene.

    Tell us you love us, Confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He surely will not.

      Delete
    2. you'll just have to read the epilogue and find out~

      Delete
  5. I can't believe we're here! Anyway, I loved this episode. It always makes me coke up, I loved Topangas lines to Feeny as well. Considering how absent her parents were in her life as a teen as well. Yes, it was because she and they made the choice to keep her in Philly, but still..

    I hated the Joshua thing, too. I think my main issue is always that hes too old! I'm like, a few episodes ago he was a baby! Now he's like walking!

    I don't really like the use of Ghost Chet. I mean, I love Chet like everyone else but I always found the use of Ghost Chet really strange. However I believe the flashback clip or one of them is them finding out Chet has died and that always gets me.

    This episode will always choke me up. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! As usuallllll it mostly makes me yearn for more. If Feeny had actually been a father figure for Topanga at multiple points in the show, that would have been AWESOME.

      Delete
  6. literally will friedleFebruary 27, 2015 at 8:42 PM

    I have no problem admitting (anonymously via the internet) that that last scene with Feeny has never once failed to bring me to tears. It's absolutely beautiful.

    I also feel I should admit something now that we've gone through the whole series: I'm actually Will Friedle.

    ...





    okay, i'm not really will friedle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yyyyyup. Every time.

      And you know, I actually believed you for a second.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'm convinced. Eric is Riley's biological father. By the time Auggie rolled around, Eric had stepped aside out of loyalty to his brother, and Auggie's all Cory. But Riley? Big Daddy Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, seriously, it makes more sense than it has any right to.

      Delete
    2. Topanga's a fucking champ, man. She decided she wanted Eric on Day 1, and went through hell and high water, brainwashed this dork into thinking they'd been dating since they were babies when it really started in sophomore year, all to get her man.

      Delete
    3. Most important things to come out of the blog: Dancing Guy, that clip from Jacobs's other show, and Ericpanga.

      Delete
    4. holy shit I didn't mention dancing guy in the epilogue, one sec.

      Delete
  8. OH GOD! SHAWN IN THIS EPISODE! "YOU NEVER GAVE UP ON ME. NOT ONCE." HE COULD HAVE GONE THE OTHER WAY! HE SHOULD HAVE GONE THE OTHER WAY! EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD STACKED UP AGAINST SHAWN HUNTER TO LEAD HIM TO WORTHLESSNESS. BUT A COUPLE PEOPLE GOT TOGETHER AND DECIDED THEY SIMPLY WOULD NOT LET SHAWN HUNTER FAIL. OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally overwhelming. And you know, it makes me even more sad that Turner got that lame ass send off since he was such a big part of it. I just posted the epilogue, and I talk a bit at the beginning about how this part made me wonder if Shawn/Feeny could be stronger than Eric/Feeny.

      Delete
    2. Hmm. Shawn/Feeny certainly could have been stronger than Eric/Feeny, but the moments are just too few and far between. Turner, himself, draws the comparison that Feeny's special ones are the Matthew brothers, and for Turner it's Shawn. City Slackers aside, Feeny's true interest in Shawn doesn't begin until Turner starts becoming out of the picture, and by that point the show's half over and his relationship with Cory and Eric is already sacrosanct.

      Shawn needed Feeny more than Cory and even Eric did (Eric just had too big a safety net. His worst case scenario was that he'd work a comfortable job at a wilderness store his whole life) but they only occasionally picked up the Shawn/Feeny ball. This show is Shawn's. I prefer Eric and Cory to him because I think they're funnier and they never annoy me with their histrionics like Shawn can, but none of this changes that Shawn's this show's best character. But they could have, and maybe should have, given us more Feeny/Shawn moments to make it more earned. Shawn's moment here hits me because he's not just talking to Feeny. He's talking to Cory. And he's talking to Turner. And he's talking to Topanga. And he's talking to Alan.

      Delete
    3. You know what I think would be a good top 10? Top 10 relationships on this show. Number 1 goes without saying, but really analyzing the other 9 might be cool. Really comparing shit like... Cory/Alan and Eric/Alan and Eric/Feeny and Cory/Feeny and Shawn/Turner.

      Delete
    4. I think you've got the right of it. "Shawn needed Feeny more." That's spot on. I want to say that Shawn is the best character too, and I wouldn't even hesitate if it weren't for Rider's feelings about him. Every time I'm about to say "Shawn is my favorite" I remember this article that Rider wrote http://bullettmedia.com/article/character-study-boy-meets-worlds-rider-strong-reveals-where-shawn-hunter-has-been-hiding/

      Delete
    5. Is that the "Shawn's in my basement. Every so often I go down to visit him, but I know only one of us can come back out. I try to make sure it's me."?

      He makes good points. We shouldn't forget that as dumb as Eric is in Season 7? Shawn's just as dumb in Seasons 2-4. He's probably dumber for longer than Eric is. And sometimes I even like that Shawn better, because even though he has these problems, and even though they clearly bother him, he doesn't let them define him.

      Eric, at his best, actually probably is a better character than Shawn is. His angst episodes affect me more, mainly because they feel real. Shawn's life is a Greek Tragedy. Most of ours aren't. A lot of us feel like we've been given a raw deal and we're not living up to our potential but it isnt because a cavalcade of calamity has befallen us. Often it's our damn faults. And that's Eric. It's amazing to say this, considering how inhuman he becomes, but at his core, Eric is the character I have most in common with. I didn't grow up in a trailer park. My mom wasn't always running away, my dad wasn't an inveterate reprobate. I was just a kid in a family. But I didn't live up to my potential in high school, I got in trouble, I was lazy, I did well on standardized tests while having bad grades. And I suffered for it and was forced to decide if I was just gonna not amount to anything, or if I was going to summon what I had in me and rise above it. That was Eric's journey. He didn't have to be, like, undergo Shakespearean tragedy to mean something. The problem is just Eric's inconsistency and the way that the ultimate person to give up on him was apparently Michael Jacobs. But if Eric had kept on being written how he had been? He could've been even greater.

      Delete
    6. "the ultimate person to give up on him was apparently Michael Jacobs" I think you just broke my heart dude.

      And you're right, it really comes down to how you value consistency. If you really only watch the middle seasons, which it sounds like we both do, then Eric is the best. But if someone actively watches 6 and 7, god forbid, then who knows.

      Delete
    7. Yeah, unless for some reason I want to watch a specific episode or arc, if I'm grabbing one of the seasons off the shelf to watch, nine times out of ten it's going to be Seasons 3-5. But I think there are a LOT of fans out there for whom the series, like, starts at Season 5, who think of this as a story about not four kids, but seven kids. And who think Eric's just an hilarious idiot in the vein of Joey from Friends or Kelso from That 70's Show.

      I got in this heated debate with this guy on the IMDb message boards for Girl Meets World, which I frequent, who literally made the claim that the only reason anybody likes or cares about Eric is because they like Plays with Squirrels, and if it wasn't for Plays with Squirrels, no one would care any more about him than they do Jack. I was outraged, but ultimately discovered the reason was simply that, although he'd seen most of the early seasons too back when it was on, the only episodes he rewatches now are college episodes and his memory of the time before that are spotty.

      Delete
    8. That poor unfortunate soul.


      Did you get my email by the way? I sent it from a different account than before.

      Delete
  9. For all the evil eyes we can throw at Michael Jacobs for shoving his kid into the finale, I always liked how they end the series in the same classroom that it had started on. That set had probably been demolished after Season One so it was cool that they recreated it so faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah everything about that last scene is perfect, including the set. I'm glad they put in that effort :D

      Delete
  10. Fun Fact: they actually did try to get a kid closer in age to what Josh would've been but the kids either wouldn't sit still long enough for Cory to talk or would start crying. So Jacobs calls his wife, she's at the store, and he's like "do you have Danny with you?" She says yes and he tells her to bring him to the set. He wasn't supposed to have any lines so all the "yeahs" and head nodding was done by the kid on his own. Including when he says "TOPANGAAA" at the end which I thought was kinda cute. But yeah the classroom scene gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! That may calm the flames of my fury.

      And yeah, it was adorable when he yelled for Topanga. It's surprising that he was able to ad lib calling her by her character's name instead of "Danielle".

      Delete
    2. Where did you learn about this? Was this from a Michael Jacobs interview?

      Delete
    3. I don't remember exactly which interview it was but yes he has said this on multiple occasions.They didn't plan to use Daniel but they had to because they were filming and the kid they cast couldn't do it.

      Delete
  11. The first three take the same seats they always had in high school, which is just beautiful.

    ^ Elementary, my dear...Sean/KBM. That's the seats they had in elementary.
    Topanga, Cory & Shawn
    Minkus to the right (left in our POV) of Topanga

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just noticed Eli is not in the final episode. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would he be? He makes it into a brief flashback though, same with Turner. Weirdly enough Angela is really the only main character who is completely unseen in the finale.

      Delete
  13. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t know if you still check this, but I got videos from both Bill Daniels and Will Friedle on Cameo! I wanted kind of a mix between advice and a pep talk, since I’m 30 and only now going back to college. I’ve only even done a year, and I have a lot of anxiety, and I’m very scared. Bill gave me some motivation and said “as Mr Feeny would say - believe in yourself. Dream. Try. Do good” :-) and Will Friedle has had problems with severe anxiety too (he said the reason he gained so much weight in the later seasons was eating as a side effect of medication) and he sent me a pretty long video with advice from experience and encouragement. It’s so great. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. "You never gave up on me. Never once." is the best line in the entire series. The fact that the actors are really crying (as well they should be) makes the whole thing hit so much harder.

    ReplyDelete