Friday, January 9, 2015

Episode 7x06 "They're Killing Us"



Corpanaga are talking to the fourth wall about how difficult it is to plan a wedding, and as usual I am incapable of feeling sorry for them. It looks like we'll be jumping from the pair talking to someone positioned at the camera to normal footage of the show, almost like mockumentary.

The first such jump takes us to The Tnemtrapa where Angela and Rachel are trying on bridesmaid dresses for Topanga. Of course they look absurd, and of course Topanga loves them. Has there ever been a television series involving a wedding that didn't do this kind of thing with bridesmaid dresses? This already feels like a chore. Oh good Morgan's here too, we've got a real recipe for success today ladies and gentlemen.


The next 20 jokes are "Topanga likes them but the others don't." I don't like this, I want Shawn or Eric, not The Angry Morgan Show here.

Back in the mockumentary style, Topanga explains that "every wedding has a theme, Cory," and she wants hers to be a southern belle "Gone With The Wind" style. Where the hell did that come from? In the same way that Cory and Shawn were insane last episode and Eric was a sociopath in "And In Case I Don't See Ya", they're now making Topanga into something completely unrecognizable for the sake of cheap laughs, which are all also similar to making Topanga insane in the first four episodes of the season for the sake of the plot. I don't know why we have to completely destroy her as a character all the time, and obviously I don't enjoy it, but here we are. nonetheless.


I think that picture, uh, that pretty much sums everything right up for us. There you go, review over.

Seems like the goal for this episode is to pick a punchline and then milk it dry for an entire scene. The first one was Topanga's ugly dresses, and now it's Cory's sexual frustration. He and Topanga are discussing the honeymoon at The Union because there's really no other place for that sort of thing. Cory makes big scene about how un-laid he is, and it does work, but only because Ben Savage is hilarious when he's acting angry, something we've noted with consistency throughout the series.


I still can't figure out why they did this. It's obviously not for family-friendliness, I mean they swear relatively frequently and everyone else has had sex, so I just don't get it. Was it just for the jokes? It doesn't even work with her character, she's always been progressive and liberal, it doesn't make sense. I know I'm late to the game in saying that, but damn it's annoying. But they get married in the next episode, so I guess this is the last time.

Okay here's something compelling, Cory has to choose a best man. So is it Shawn or Eric? In The Dorm, Shawn and Cory try to imagine what will happen if Eric is best man, and it ends with Eric burning down the church, and indeed, when it skips to Eric and Cory discussing the same subject, that does in fact end with Eric setting The Dorm on fire. And this really highlights the disappointing change in Eric, since at the end of season 6 HE WAS FEENY'S BEST MAN AND DIDN'T SCREW UP ANYTHING. HE WAS CLOSE TO ADOPTING A CHILD. And now he just casually sets a dorm room on fire? It's not really even that funny. And the real emotion would have come from Cory having to choose between the season 5/6 Eric and Shawn, now there's a decision. Choosing between Shawn and this braindead zombie Eric? I'm not even invested.


Cory's parents are upset that he's chosen Shawn as his best man, and there's like a minute long effort to convince Cory to choose Eric. It's a massive waste of time though, since as soon as Cory calmly agrees to have Eric as his best man (he clearly knows Eric is about to mess something up), braindead zombie Eric lights a sparkler in celebration and then sets the house on fire.


Did you think we would get out of here without the other dress-related trope? Not a chance. Time for Topanga to be unhappy with her own dress. But not just any dress, it was Amy's wedding dress, and it's been in the family "since the Civil War". Outside of budget constraints, I really can't see any reason why anyone would want to wear someone else's wedding dress, but whatever. This stuff is so easy to write. And I know what you're gonna say, I'm being too serious, this episode is supposed to be a fun time, a little fun before the wedding, but it's just not hitting any of the right notes for me.

And what would a wedding preparation episode be without a Professor Umbridge style wedding planner? Yes, how silly, she has a posh accent and she means business. Does anyone like this episode at all? Maybe it's fun if you've had a wedding, and maybe can relate? I don't know.

Apparently Alan hired Feeny and "his jazz group" to play the music at the wedding. Of course Feeny has a jazz group. They meet right after his yoga class, and right before his astronaut training program.


Listen. Okay, listen. There are two things I hate on television, above all others. Weddings and pregnancies. Proposals are a close third. And it's not the ideas I hate, it's the destruction of those otherwise nice ideas for the sake of entertainment. Every storyline boils down to "how much of this situation can we send to shit in 20 minutes of screen time".

Shawn shows up with the other girls, all wearing their ugly dresses from before. He has apparently coached them on pretending to like the dresses, and they all demonstrate their ability to lie to Topanga, whose eye won't stop twitching. Morgan doesn't want to play along though.


Arite. Fine. That's pretty funny. It is odd though. Morgan's always been really sweet to Topanga in the past.

Okay if we're talking about odd, then this is odd. Eric feels cheated by not being chosen as best man, so he decides to be the groom instead. He "confesses" his love for Topanga and tells her to marry him, I'm sure you all have a vivid memory of this scene. Taken alone, it's hilarious, but it's just so ridiculous. It's a shenanigan. Antics. Nothing in this episode makes any sense.


The mockumentary style thing turns out to be Cory and Topanga speaking to the other characters on the show in the Matthews living room. They've decided that all this trouble is a waste of time and that they won't survive an eight-month engagement. BETTER GET MARRIED IN A WEEK. IN THE LIVING ROOM. So there you go, there it is. We see a big title card invitation to the wedding.


 During the credits, they break the fourth wall for real this time to invite the viewer to their wedding, and to RSVP at coryandtopanga.com, which I'm sorry to say doesn't exist anymore. Did any of you see the original run of this show? I'd love to know what was actually on that site.

Well that was terrible. What an absolute waste of time. Not only does the wedding not actually occur in the living room, but all the issues with the dresses that took up so much damn time completely vanish in the next episode. I just checked and nobody mentions Amy's dress again and the bridesmaids' dresses are totally different, also without any mention. So this was a total waste of time, except for moving the wedding up from 8 months to next week. Great.

Plot: 0 - See above.

Character Development: 0 - See above, and the fact that Eric is a braindead zombie.

Humor: Indeterminate - I don't know, you can decide for yourself. I would probably find some of the stuff funny if I weren't so appalled by the rest of it.

Life Lesson: 0 - JUST HAVE IT NEXT WEEK IT'LL BE FINE, DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYBODY'S AVAILABILITY.

1.0 or less out of 4.0. I can already see the comments about that scene with Eric proposing to Topanga, and yeah if you pull it up on youtube out of the blue it's worth a laugh, but I was just so bored by everything that came before it, I couldn't even enjoy it. I don't know what to say, I wasn't expecting to find such a worthless episode this late in the series. It was almost entirely pointless, predictable, cliche, and worst of all boring. 

I don't think I will ever watch any of these first six episodes again. Thanks for reading, I guess.

All images used under Fair Use.

27 comments :

  1. "Of course Feeny has a jazz group. They meet right after his yoga class, and right before his astronaut training program."

    One wonders how he finds the time for the SCUBA classes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as we learned in 1x17, he likes to paint on the weekends. And garden. And be married.

      Delete
    2. Don't forget he teaches several classes too!

      Delete
  2. I think Cory is really, really funny during the two fire scenes ("Oh, God, it's happening" during the first, and the cut to him just sitting on the couch like "Yep, I told you" during the second). Otherwise, yeah, this episode is pretty stock. The dress stuff is all really boring. I love that in the shot of Eric from the proposal scene, you can see Jack doing his "Oh, jeez, Eric" shtick in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever disagreed so much with one of your reviews... This one is totally hilarious, especially the curtains are on fire song! I mean I realize it's not an important episode per se but God, this one is easily in my top 3 for sheer entertainment value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan was the best part of the episode... wat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD yeah i was thinking that too. she made her way into more than one gif, that's unheard of

      Delete
  5. This is a pretty...different episode, huh? On the surface, I kind of like its pseudo-Office-style wraparounds, and even the episodic "vignettes" that make it up. And personally, I think it's one of the funnier S7 episodes (whatever that's worth). But I agree with most of the criticisms here--a lot of the plot points come out of nowhere (Amy's dress, Topanga's "Gone With the Wind" thing).

    I never quite figured out what to make of Morgan in this. She's kind of a little hellraiser here, isn't she? She's funny at points but this has got to be the angriest and brattiest she's ever been. It kinda works here, though, as a loud counterpart to Topanga.

    Eric continues his journey into complete nuttiness. The escalating strangeness of the goings-on don't always work for me, and his proposal sequence is more of a head-scratcher than anything. Although I did like how that sequence ended, with Topanga lunging furiously at him. And the "My brother is a moronnnn...!" "...Which nobody can deny!"

    Cory was the funniest character here to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://web.archive.org/web/19991128052434/http://www.abc.go.com/tgif/boy_meets_world/coryandtopanga/ct_home.html Here's an archive of coryandtopanga.com if you wanted to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with you on the weirdness of the whole Cory and Topanga not having sex bit. If anything, regularly bringing it up as a plot point puts sex at the forefront of people's minds, way more than just subtly implying they have sex like a normal couple or saying nothing at all. I also think its one of the reasons they had Corpanga marry so young, which was unnecessary and made the show way less relevant to its target audience, IMO,but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I'm going to go against the grain here about Topanga and Cory's abstinence.

    As someone who was abstinent himself (prior to getting married, of course), I found it refreshing and relatable to see at least ONE other couple on TV who was willing to wait. I realize it's not a terribly common practice these days (or even in the mid-90s), but I also feel it's not as rare as a lot of comments here seem to think. There are good reasons to abstain prior to marriage, and sometimes it's refreshing to see a couple on TV do that.

    There's nothing wrong with Topanga wanting to wait for her wedding night, and Cory shouldn't be pressuring her if she's not ready. I kind of resent the implication that abstinence is "weird" or not what a "normal" couple would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point taken and I'm sorry. That said, I do think Cory pressures Topanga, and treats abstinence as unusual, at least. I don't know.

      Delete
    2. No worries--I realize mine isn't the most commonly shared viewpoint, so I thought it might be interesting to hear from someone that thought that was a unique element of the show/couple.

      That said, this still isn't a very great episode to me. :p

      Delete
    3. Completely agree Matt. Although I didn't remain abstinent, I don't like how most think it is weird. I definitely respect peoples decision to remain abstinent til marriage

      Delete
    4. The thing is, it's not solely the issue of anybody being abstinent that's strange. I have my own opinions on that, but they're neither here nor there. But the reason it's strange in the story is that it's Cory and Topanga specifically. And, really, just Topanga because with Cory we know the abstinence is absolutely not his idea.

      Topanga generally espouses liberal beliefs, is not particularly religious or, as far as we know, even Christian. On the whole, where Cory tends to be overly sentimental, old-fashioned, and prone to throw things on pedestals, Topanga is practical, (comparatively) hip, and modern. Earlier on, in episodes where sex came up like the video camera episode where people thought she and Cory slept together or "Prom-ises, Prom-ises" it's not that Topanga was against sex before marriage, she just thought sex should happen when you're ready and truly know you belong with the person. And Topanga spent all of last year engaged to Cory, planning to spend the rest of her life with him. It just, personally, makes no sense to me that Cory and Topanga, as portrayed, waited until marriage. It feels like a network mandate that the leading guy and gal on this TGiF show not be portrayed as having premarital sex, and so the show did what they could with it by making jokes about how this is one-sided. And I think it cheapens their relationship.

      Delete
    5. 100% agree with Christian.

      Delete
    6. To reiterate, there's nothing objectively wrong with that choice, but everything we knew about Topanga suggested that she wouldn't make that choice. And even if we accept it, the way it's portrayed (Cory constantly bitching about it, etc) is just cheap.

      Delete
    7. Christians' theory about the network mandate I think is very plausible. To add to the theory: Maybe the writers were channeling their frustrations at being unable to portray sex into Cory's frustrations over not getting sex, and Topanga subconsciously represents the network's regulations.

      Delete
  9. The irony is, Topanga choosing to wait before marriage feels like the more "feminist" choice in a world where girls just give it up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't POSSIBLY disagree with you more. You make it sound like sex is a commodity, like men are buying and women are selling, like a girl shouldn't WANT to have sex because she's giving up something valuable. But she's not giving up anything, nobody is taking or giving or losing or gaining, it's just two people SHARING.

      Delete
    2. Feminism doesn't just mean counter-culture. The reason this is a world where girls "give it up" (ew) all the time is because the ideals of feminism are becoming more accepted. The idea that women should be kept pure until marriage is a very anti-feminist one. This comment doesn't make sense on any level.

      Delete
  10. I once found the Disney Channel edit of this episode (I think it was on Youtube), and I remember that they cut out most of the "let me touch something" scene. It goes up to Cory saying "I want it" and then cuts to Corpanga's reaction shot after he says "Let me touch something!", making it look like they're reacting to the "I want it" line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you said that because I was wondering about that. I know for sure all of that wouldn't;'t have aired on the Disney Channel. And they ultimately spelled it all out. I had wondered how Disney edited it — thanks!

      Delete
  11. Ok, this is officially the moment that Eric went completely too goofy and officially dumb for me. There's no arguing there.

    This episode was certainly among the corniest and cheesiest and the jokes really didn't pay off — especially with Eric *eye roll*.

    Morgan was relatively funny, though. Also, the wedding invite to viewers and breaking the fourth wall was cute. It is too bad, though, that a lot of it (including the wedding not being at the house, which I had forgotten about) goes out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weird episode, but I think the mockumentary framing lets it not take itself too seriously. How good it is comes down to how funny it is, and to me it's just okay.

    Topanga hasn't been the liberal hippie she started as since season 1. I agree with everything you said about her waiting until marriage. It's totally possible that it was a network decision, but my reading was that it was just done to make jokes about Cory's frustration. Which is cheap and sucks.

    I think it's pretty realistic for Morgan to lash out at Topanga like that even if they were friendly before. She's what, 14-15 here? Totally in character. I noticed in the first gif of her in the dress, she looks at the camera at the start of her line, and in the second one, she clearly braces herself for William Russ about to cover her mouth. That's kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's two jokes about Morgan's foul mouth (the other one being from season 3).

    ReplyDelete