Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Episode 5x24 "Graduation"



It's the end of the year and Cory wants to get his yearbook signed by everyone who passes by, but they all silently ignore his advances. Need I remind you, this is the guy who won Prom King a few episodes ago, and now nobody will give him the time of day. You might almost suggest that Cory winning Prom King was total fucking nonsense. Almost.

Doesn't matter though, because this just became one of the best episodes in the season. It's FRANKIE AND JOEYYYYYY. Last time we saw Joey was in the marathon billiards match, all the way back in season 3. We saw Frankie a few more times after that, last of which was Turkey Day in season 4. But they're back for their final final appearance now, asking Cory and Shawn to sign their (stolen) yearbooks. They're definitely a few years older than Cory and Shawn, but Cory makes a point of saying that it took the thugs eight years to get through high school. I barely recognized Joey at first.


So yeah, this is just a fun way to give our favorite thugs a proper sendoff. Love it, A+, don't really need to see any more, but let's keep going.

Okay I'm glad we kept going. IT'S MINKUS O'CLOCK, my favorite time of the day. He says that for the "last four years" it hasn't felt like he's been at the school. So we've got re-confirmation that seasons 2 through 5 were four years, and not the five years it would take to go from beginning of 8th grade to end of 12th grade.

That shit don't matter tho.

Cuz it's fuckin Minkus.

Our favorite nerd explains that he's been "over there" the whole time, pointing toward the studio audience. Cory explains "We don't go over there," and Shawn continues that you may never come back if you do go over there.


Hey look, Minkus is holding his notebooks in that way all the girls hold their notebooks.

You see that!? THEY'RE BRINGIN BACK CHARACTERS FROM OLD SEASONS

SO I BROUGHT BACK COMMENTARY FROM OLD SEASONS

FUCKIN AMAZING BEST BLOG EVERRRRRRRRR

I'd like to know why they couldn't get Turner for a reappearance. He was a much more significant character than Minkus or the thugs, I'd definitely like to see him again.

Shawn doesn't really care about signing Cory's yearbook, and he also thinks the class rings that Topanga and Cory are so excited about are stupid and meaningless. And hey, I agree with you Shawny boy. I always wrote "See you tomorrow" in my friends' yearbooks. But I guess it's a lot different now with Facebook and everything. Anyway yeah, Shawn is the Grinch of the last week of school. Topanga tells her boyfriend that she's going to Pennbrook over Yale, but he insists she read the "information I got off the internet last night" on Yale before she makes her decision. ...Cory knows how to use the internet? Should I be as surprised as I am?

Shawn calls out his best friend on faking his supportiveness for Topanga.  Real Grinchy Grinch behavior here today.

In class, Feeny gives everyone an optional assignment to write about "what's in your heart during this last week of school." Feeny makes it very clear that he wants Shawn to do the assignment, and perhaps he's created this assignment solely to hear from Shawn.


Topanga literally threatens Mister Feeny into giving her an A, since she has "699 As" and wants 700. Afraid for his life, the old man complies. As usual, we, the viewer, don't care.


Shawn returns to The Apartment to find some sort of celebration set up by Jack to congratulate Shawn on graduating. It's odd, since Shawn isn't actually graduating for another two days. Either way, the gesture isn't well received by the angstier Hunter boy, so the two end up wrestling and arguing like always. Shawn is being a real jackass today. Jack went to a lot of trouble here!

Eric emerges from his bedroom clad in spy gear, heading off to stop Mr. Feeny from retiring. This man truly is the Master of Shenanigans.


Aaand that's the last interaction between the Hunter boys. Their problem remains unresolved, so that was pointless. Honestly, this is exactly where they started at the beginning of the season. That's uh... That's an interesting writing choice. Back at school, Cory's let loose a few chickens in the hallway as a senior prank. The joke is that no one cares about the chickens, not even Feeny, but Cory thinks it's the greatest prank of all time. It's cute. I like the way Cory keeps yelling "chickens!" More importantly though, we have another meeting between Feeny and Shawn. Feeny urges Shawn to work on the assignment, but Shawn still doesn't want to since it's not required.


I really appreciate that line, it really reflects everything Feeny's been about in this series. It resonates with what I've been talking about in If You Can't Be and Prom-ises, where the characters aren't following orders or rules, they make the decisions for themselves. And that's always been Feeny's philosophy, to point out what page we're on, to give everyone the information they need to make their own decisions and choices.

Topanga shows up and asks they boys if they want to hear her valedictorian speech. Shaking his head, Shawn walks away without saying anything at all. I'm going to have to agree with Shawn here. Minkus reappears off to the side, and challenges Topanga's claim to valedictorian. Unfortunately for our favorite nerd, the A that Topanga extorted out of Feeny brought her to victory. You'll recall that Topinkus argue about this same grade crap in episode 7 of GMW. It was pretty forced and nonsensical, and most importantly anyone who didn't see this episode of BMW wouldn't understand what was going on.

Once again, Cory encourages his girlfriend to go to Yale, but she's still not sure so she goes to Feeny's office that evening for advice. It's really difficult to get invested in this when you already know what happens. Or maybe it's just that we're all wishing for Topanga to go to Yale. I just don't care about her struggle, I really don't. Eric saves us from the monotony though, by grappling-hook-ing his way in through Feeny's window.


The tune of "Good Lookin Guy" from 4x02 plays while Eric is climbing (and ultimately falling) out the window, which is a beautiful flourish on the end of an already hysterical bit.

There's a touching scene up next when our three heroes stay after class to talk to Feeny. They ask if all their antics have driven him to retiring, but it turns out to be quite the opposite. Watching the three of them grow has given him enough gratification to close out his career with total satisfaction. Very touching.


These words leave Shawn thinking about the thing he complains most about, which is school. Tie that in with the optional paper about what school means to him, and we're set up for an epic conclusion.

We're at the graduation ceremony now, and it's time for the valedictorian speech. Topanga defers to "somebody who could give a much better speech than I ever could." This is, of course, Shawn. The point of his speech is that he dicked around too much in school and now... he really wishes that he hadn't.


And The Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day.


So this is the conclusion of the Shawn-Feeny arc that took us from City Slackers to the Eskimo to now. Shawn's spent his whole life thinking he's defined by his upbringing, that he's a failure no matter what, but now... "I coulda done better." Shawn is realizing his own potential, admitting that his previous failures are his own fault. We don't learn his plans for the future in this episode, but I like to think that he's already made up his mind to go to Pennbrook at this point, because he wants to prove to himself and everyone else that he still can do better. Good stuff. The Shawn-Feeny arc is definitely more subtle than Eric-Feeny or Cory-Shawn or Cory-Topanga, or even Shawn-Turner which ended back in Cult Fiction. Even so, it's got two of my favorite episodes, Eskimo and City Slackers, so once you've picked up on it, it really is a great story.

Eric jumps up out of the graduating students to stop the proceedings, trying to delay Feeny's impending retirement. He grabs the microphone and starts singing To Sir With Love by Lulu, directed at Feeny. It's funny at first, but it drags on wayyyyy too long. What's worse though is that it completely undermines the ending from the last episode. We saw that moment of seriousness between mentor and student, but now Eric is just acting like an idiot. I really wish this hadn't happened, and they'd just let the end of 5x23 be this season's last scene with Eric and Feeny. Especially since this contributes nothing to anything. He just keeps singing and eventually it cuts to Feeny reading off the names of the students to come get their diplomas. Again, it is funny, but it's still not worth it.

Our heroes give Minkus a big hug after his name is called, which, in my opinion, was absolutely necessary. A very, very sweet gesture from the writers to include this in the memory of our season 1 pal.


Last but not least, Topanga proposes to Cory right there during the name-calling ceremony. Cory is left speechless and it's just that fun guitar music during the credits. I didn't ask for this. Why.

Plot: 0.5 - It's a lot of fluff. Lots of wrapping-up going on, and the scenes with Minkus and the thugs were just fanservice. Appreciated, certainly, but still fanservice. Shawn's little story with the paper is where the points are coming from. Shame they didn't address whether or not Shawn's going to college in this episode. They really teased that in the previous episode and it never came up here.

Character Development: 1.0 - "I coulda done better" and Topanga proposed.

Humor: 1.0 - Eric's spy gear bit was fantastic, so was Cory and his chickens. Topanga was thoroughly anti-funny, but whatever.

Life Lesson: 1.0 - "I coulda done better" either hits you really hard or doesn't mean anything. It hit me really hard when I first saw this, and this is my blog, so I'm giving the point.

3.5 out of 4.0. At the end of the day, watching this episode is just necessary. We have a sendoff for Frankie, Joey, and Minkus, Topanga proposes, Shawn does his thing, it's all very important. It's not amazing, but it's fun and it's important. I think that's all I've got to say.



Thanks everybody for sticking with me through another season. It's dark days ahead, my friends, very dark. But maybe some episodes will surprise me. I'm gonna take my end-of-season break next week, but for Friday I'm planning to review that stupid Trojan War movie with Friedle and JLH. It'll be my first time watching it, and it's only 80 minutes, so it should be fun. I hope. Maybe. See you then!





25 comments :

  1. I haven't seen Trojan War yet so your review is much-anticipated. I agree with you about how Eric's subplot (while funny) undermines the ending of 5x23. Gee, you'd think this episode was the series finale with all the references to the first four seasons, from Minkus to the thugs to Mr. Turner to even the Good-Looking Guy theme playing when Eric breaks into Feeny's office. Great review and I can't wait for you to start season 6, which has a pretty solid two-part opener, but it is the season that starts BMW's bipolarity (is that a word?) with moments from silly and outrageous to melodramatic and serious in nearly every episode.

    By the way, our heroes were in the 7th grade at the beginning of season 2. Meaning they went from 7th grade to 12th grade in four years. It's a direct contradiction too because in the season 2 opener you hear Cory mention that they're going to be at John Adam for six years but in this one, they say four years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me, I am all too familiar with the impossibility of the timeline. At a certain point you just have to embrace the retcon, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. At the end of last year, someone did do the chicken senior prank (I was a junior then) but it was in the bathroom instead of the hallway. Someone had posted the picture of it on Twitter and everone in my class was laughing about it. I had seen this episode before that happened (it had been a while, though) , but I didn't remember the chicken part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated high school in 2000. The year book signing was an important thing to us back then. I could see how it wouldn't be now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I totally understand, I would have felt the exact same way.

      Delete
    2. In 2000 i graduated what in the US you would call elementary school. We didn't have year books, but we all went out and bought these specially-designed "autograph books", which we spent the _entire year_ passing around and signing. Because there was no hurry to get it done we would go into ridiculous lengths to make our "signatures" as unique as possible, appending letters sometimes entire pages long, and filling more pages still with random biographical details, stickers, drawings, etc. This was standard practice. Everybody did it. I still have mine.

      Delete
  4. I've said this before on this blog but I actually really like the college years. They're more ridiculous than the high school years sure, but there's some GREAT stuff that gets lost in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better. I hope you're right!

      Delete
    2. I agree. On the whole, i feel like the series really could have ended right here, at season 5, but the final 2 seasons do offer a few bright gems.

      Delete
  5. I loved Eric singing. The next years are rough and then the added non bonus of Rachel. I know there's a good Hunter episode-Shawn, Chet, and Jack in the future.

    ALSO SO HAPPY YOU ARE REVIEWING THE MOVIE with Will and JLH. Its kind of ridiculous but I think your review of it will be priceless..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that Hunter episode is fantastic, I am looking forward to that one.

      And yeah, I started working on the movie review, it's... oooo boy.

      Delete
  6. I really loved this episode. Shawn's characterisation was definitely the best part of it and it was great to see Minkus again. I have to say though that I adored Eric's singing. It's hysterical. I thought that it was one of the funniest moments of the entire series.

    I just finished rewatching the series on Monday. Generally speaking, I really enjoyed Seasons 6 and 7. I thought that there were lots of great episodes there, though Seasons 2-5 is certainly the series' Golden Age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're not BAD, it's just not as good. Topanga's parents' divorce is going to be a struggle, same with Joshua's birth problems, but most of it will probably be fine.

      Delete
  7. There is a lot of stuff I like in Season 6 and 7 but there is a lot of stuff I don't: the utter dourness of so much of it (Shawn's dad, the Matthews baby drama, Topanga's parents, etc), Shawn and Angela becoming the most boring will-they-won't-they ever, and holy shit, Topanga in the pre-wedding part of Season 7 is UNBEARABLE.

    On the other hand...

    ...UNDAPANTS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all points except Chet, I really like the way "We'll All Have A Good Time Then" is done. At least, I remember liking it.

      But yeah, Topanga's reaction to her parents divorcing, is just... the worst...

      Delete
  8. Eric singing is slightly more meaningful if you've seen the movie To Sir With Love, it's kind of an older version of Freedom Writers, but most people who watch this show wouldn't have seen that movie, so I'm sure it's pretty confusing for most viewers and I don't really know why the writers thought it needed to be included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mentioned this because I found that entire thing unfunny and it went on for too long, I do agree with Sean there. I tuned out.

      Delete
  9. Topanga demanding the A and Feeny being terrified might be legit the funniest non-Eric moment of the series, you're insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He finds everything about Topanga annoying and that falls right into what makes her so. Sometimes, he gives Topanga some credit on the humor front, but it's rare…

      Delete
  10. I think Mr Turner not showing up was the joke. He disappeared into "THAT side of the school. Over THERE", where all the characters go who never come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I got from it too. I'm also glad I rewatched this and caught that. I always thought what happened to Mr. Turner (obviously pre-GMW) was a mystery. And I guess it was, but at least we know from that little joke that he recovered and went back to teaching at John Adams High for a time.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, of course that was "the joke", but if they could get Anthony Tyler Quinn back for the episode, they probably wouldn't have written the joke that way. Turner was important enough of a character, though, that I'm glad they didn't bring him back just for this. I don't think it would have worked.

      Delete
    3. It was just necessary to give some type of closure with Turner’s situation after “Cult Fiction”. Leaving with the idea that he never recovered after his motorcycle accident wasn’t what the character deserved. They had to make some mention that Turner had recovered, even if it was as a joke.

      Delete
  11. Season 2 actually would have been starting 7th grade, not 8th. They were in 6th in the first season. They aged the characters up though; if they had gone with the OG 1993 sixth grade, the characters would have graduated high school in 2000, the 7th season, not 1998.

    I think they needed to age them up. Rider Strong definitely didn't look 12 in season 2.

    ReplyDelete