Monday, July 21, 2014

Episode 5x01 "Brothers"

The new intro is... weird. It's really weird. It's a very significant departure from the first four seasons in that it actually has lyrics. I don't know who did the vocals, but they phoned that shit in, you can't understand a damn word. The characters are all "hanging out" in various locations, pulling pranks on each other, because look how real they are! They're so relatable! It's so in-your-face, I just don't like it. It's weird. And there really wasn't anything interesting for me to do with my logo.


How boring is that shit? If you've got a better idea, lay it on me.

Shawn and Cory are seniors now.


How exactly are they seniors, you ask? Well I have no idea. I had to give up on my timeline theory because the show contradicted itself so many times. Shawn even comments here that they've waited "three whole years" to go through that door behind them, the door to the "Senior Hall". And that just makes me weep for ever having TRIED to make a coherent timeline. THREE YEARS? YOU'RE TELLING ME THEY'VE BEEN AT JOHN ADAMS FOR THREE YEARS? BULL SHIT THEY HAVE.

I also doubt the existence of a Senior Hall, but I'm usually wrong about this stuff. And hey, Eric always walked around the same hall as Cory and Shawn when he was a senior. Ultimately, though, This introductory scene is really exciting to me, it just feels like Boy Meets World, you know? They both look and sound mature, and we're ready to go.

Inside the hall it looks like a Valentine's Day dance, with heart shaped balloons and silver streamers and shit, and the teachers are all swimsuit models. Topanga's being carried around by shirtless Roman gladiators, and Feeny is serving the boys milkshakes and prime rib. But then the fantasy breaks as the first bell rings.


So we're doing a front-to-back shot this season instead of the left-to-right hallway we've grown so fond of. Maybe "Senior Hall" was just an excuse to use a different set.

Surprisingly, that's all they wanted us to see at school. At home, Cory's telling Shawn how great it's going to be to finally have his own room.


So something's gone wrong at college. What a pity. All that work we did with Eric goes right down the drain, he's back to being an irresponsible goof. Apparently he didn't bother to fill out the paperwork for the school's dorms, so now he's here. And Alan doesn't seem to mind, while Amy's pretty pissed off about it. This is actually another character reversal. That speech from Security Guy that Alan made about taking off the kid-gloves in the delivery room when Eric was born? Well those gloves are back on and Alan's babying Eric again. Blargh.

Eric's being a general nuisance to everybody, so Cory decides to spend the next day looking for an apartment for Eric. This is Boy Meets World, so their problem is solved by a quick trip to Chubbie's. A charismatic young man enters the "restaurant" and announces that he is looking for roommates at Pennbrook, because that's what people do. Cory's like "hey, you should meet my brother." But ah hah! Cory's forgotten the first rule of Chubbie's! Everybody always shows up, and in this case it's Shawn.


Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jack Hunter, Shawn's half brother who apparently bailed on Shawn and Chet with his mother some number of years ago. I don't really understand how this works though. Chet had Jack with some other woman before Shawn was born, then married Virna and had Shawn. But Jack must have still been around at that point for Shawn to know who he is. But then how can Shawn claim that Jack and his mother bailed on them? How can Shawn even know who Jack's mother is? Unless Chet separated from Virna and lived with Jack, Jack's mother, and Shawn for some time, but that seems ridiculous. To paraphrase, Chet would have to go Jack's mother -> Virna -> Jack's mother -> Virna for Shawn to be saying the things he's saying.

Jack is played by Matthew Lawrence. Matt's career was basically done after Boy Meets World, but he was actually on a lot of shows before that, including 53 episodes as the lead role of "Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad", which is obviously a masterpiece of our times. I'm probably going to go watch it after I finish writing this. Holy shit, Tim Curry was on that show too. What the fuck is this thing? Now I really do have to watch it.

And there's nothing wrong with Matt, he's a fine actor, he's easy to watch, but he's a lot like Eli in that the producers want us to care a lot about Jack's relationship with Shawn right away, but we just don't.

Back at home, Amy is looking to Mr. Feeny for advice about Eric, and she gets a little heated.


It's BS too, you're not allowed to yell at Mister Feeny, who does she think she is. She doesn't need his help anyway as she works out on her own that Alan and Eric are best buds so Alan can't bring himself to kick Eric out of the nest. Yeah, duh. But again, we solved that back in season 4. I like that they're trying to include Amy though.

Meanwhile, Jack shows up at Chet's trailer to try to reconcile. I don't know why Shawn is so upset, it's not like Jack chose to walk out on them. Either way, damn I love Chet. He's real excited to see his son again, and it's honestly ADORABLE.


As you can see, Shawn is not 100% in love with this idea. Jack hits the road cuz Shawn is being stubborn, and Chet hands him a jacket from the rack saying it's "going to be a cold one tonight", which is, again, ADORABLE. Chet loves his sons.




Shawn is still being stubborn though and refuses to leave. 

Eric and Cory show up at Jack's place to check everything out and see if Eric would be a good fit as Jack's roomie. They're hitting it off pretty well, and they seem really comfortable with each other, even if Eric doesn't like the color of the refrigerator. 


So everyone on this show is being stubborn today. Eric may not be the responsible adult we saw at the end of season 4, but he is definitely still hilarious. 

At home, Amy reads her husband the Riot Act. He proceeds outside to tell Eric that he has to move out, because it's part of growing up, even though it's hard to let go of his son. Cory and Shawn are out there while it happens, and Shawn is now able to understand why his father was trying to "kick him out". So yeah, it's one of those neat little parallels where the two storylines intersect for a mutual life lesson. 


So we can see how far Chet has come since he ditched Shawn back at the end of season 2. Great stuff. There' s a little scene where Eric and Shawn are moving into Jack's apartment, and Chet gives them the toaster he's been trying to fix this whole episode. It really is the sweetest thing. 

Plot: 1.0 - There was a lot going on! We had the Amy -> Alan dynamic, the Alan -> Eric dynamic, and the Chet-Shawn-Jack triangle. Sometimes the events just flow so easily, and it's so easy to write the reviews for them. I don't know if my writing reflects that, but this is definitely one of those episodes.

Character Development: 1.0 - See that last gif above. Chet is a wonderful character. And we had some good stuff with Alan and Eric, even if we've mostly seen that development before.

Humor: 1.0 - Very funny from start to finish. The show is thoroughly in its "groove" at this point, the humor is so flawlessly intertwined in the plot. And that's how we like it.

Life Lesson: 0.5 - Ehhh, we sort of had the thing about fathers making the hard choice to let go of their sons. 

3.5 out of 4.0. Great episode, great start to the season, except for the atrocious theme song. Seriously what the fuck is that theme song? Also, thanks to an anonymous comment for reminding me about Shawn's other half brother in The Pink Flamingo Kid. I think my deduction on that one was that he's Virna's son with some other dude, probably some other guy in the trailer park, so in fact that guy and Jack wouldn't be related, but that's total speculation. And Shawn also had a sister for one episode, back in the first season. It's crazy how this show can be so good while also being so inconsistent.


Thanks for reading! See you Wednesday. 

All images used under Fair Use.

21 comments :

  1. I like the "idea" of the theme song. I get what they were trying to do. Also.. my favorite moment is at the end when Eric throws Cory a key and says "don't be a stranger". I think they brought Jack in so Eric could have a new friend?- Also this is SHAWNS second half-sibling! He had a half brother in the episode where Cory made a video for Shawn's dad and the guy wanted to beat up Cory. Like.. how many Hunters are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God dammit, I always forget something. I should make a list of the things I want to talk about before I get started. Definitely meant to talk about that other half brother from The Pink Flamingo Kid, and also the one time he had a sister.

      And yeah, I guess Jack is supposed to be Eric's buddy, and that's totally fine. Like I said, I like Matt Lawrence, but the whole half-brother thing is really hard to swallow when it comes out of nowhere.

      Delete
    2. As I think you maybe mentioned in the episode with Eddie the other half-brother, I can really only justify it by pretending Eddie's Virna's son. If he's Virna's son it's basically fine except that Virna didn't seem so concerned about him when she returned, but then he appeared to be over 18 and on his own and he also appears to be awful, and we don't know what she was up to the times she wasn't onscreen which was frequently, so whatever.

      Delete
    3. The writers for Girl Meets World confirmed that Eddie is indeed Virna's son, and thus is no relation to Shawn or Jack.

      Delete
  2. No matter how atrotcious the seasons 5-7 theme is, it's still better than season 1's version of early 90's hell.

    Also I LOVE Jack as a character, a lot of people act like he was a bad addition to the cast but I'd probably mostly point toward Angela and Rachel for that (and Rachel was ok for her first season, but by season 7 she was just totally unnecessary and whiny)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the season 1 theme song.

      Delete
  3. So, I hate Jack. Hate him. I hate that they found him necessary, I hate that they tried to cram in a brother character for Shawn (and hey, look at that, Shawn's older brother is the same age as and becomes best friends with Cory's older brother!) but more than any of that I just hate how bland he is. He's just... generic. His role is generally just to stand there and shake his head at how wacky Eric's being or warn him against whatever wacky scheme he's up to this time. As you watch this, take note of how often Jack's function in an episode is standing next to Eric, covering his hand with his face and shaking his head saying things like "Don't do it, man!" "Why do you gotta do these things, man?" "What are you thinking, man?"

    Absent a few episodes early on and then the episode where (spoiler?) Chet dies, his relationship with Shawn gets almost no focus. And while I think a lot of could have been done with Jack and Chet getting to know each other, this episode marks the last time Chet will appear until the episode he dies in so that went to waste too. Instead he gets lost in this vortex of being Eric's less-fun sidekick and lusting for Rachel.

    I could maybe see where they would have though Jack would be a good idea on paper. And I suppose he is one. But the execution was terrible, and I don't think Matt Lawrence brings much to the table on top of it. It takes them way too long to even settle on a personality for him (sometimes he's smart, sometimes he's dumb, sometimes he's confident, sometimes he's shy, sometimes he's hard-working, sometimes he's spoiled) until they finally settle on the narcissistic trust fund baby personality of Season 7 at which point I'd already decided I didn't care. Season 5's a great season, but that it means Jack's here is always a disappointment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I don't mind that the stuff with Eric here is covering some of the same ground between him and Alan. I don't know about you, but even when I'm able to identify some of my own flaws and bad habits, or some of the flawed dynamics in my relationships with friends and family, it doesn't necessarily me I'm able to immediately overcome them. Personal growth I think is often two steps forward, one step back. Yeah, Eric applied himself, worked hard, and got into college, but he also didn't stop being Eric. And forgetting to fill out a housing application (or maybe thinking someone else would have done that for him) does still sound like him. He's always going to be pre-disposed to slip into bad habits of laziness and irresponsibility.

    Likewise Alan realized in Season 4 that he's coddled Eric, but realizing you've been doing that for 20 years doesn't mean you'll suddenly never do it again. Coddling Eric is still his instinct and, especially in a different less-severe situation (Eric not getting on-campus housing and having to live at home while he goes to college isn't quite as big a deal as the way in which Eric had been living his life through most of Season 4) it might be easy to start coddling again until he's reminded that he's doing it. Particularly as it seemed like he was already bummed about Eric not being at home anymore. I dunno. Felt real to me. And this isn't the last time we're going to see an episode devoted to Alan's coddling of Eric, I believe there's one at the end of Season 7 too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is a moment at the end of the series as well. It's kind of amazing how I can pretty much remember everything about this show.

      Delete
  5. I think the timeline thing goes like this. At some point in Season 3 or Season 4, John Adams was retroactively turned into a normal four year high school and the first season was retroactively changed to being 8th grade. While it's annoying, I actually think it makes more sense - I've never heard of this odd 7th-12th high school system early BMW employed. By Season 5, they were entering the fourth year that we'd seen them be at John Adams, let's have them be seniors and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In short - I'm okay with retcons when they turn something that didn't make much sense to me into something that now makes more sense to me.

      Delete
    2. Fun story: My high school was 7th-12th grade-which yes it kind of unheard of. When I was in 10th grade they finally built a middle school for the high school-attached to the high school. But yeah it isn't normal. And yes I agree- I think the timeline/how old are they is the least of consistently worries on the show sometimes

      Delete
    3. Yeah, there was a timeskip. They jumped 2 years between season 3 & 4..

      But I don't like the idea of s1 being retconned to 8th grade.

      I'd rather just go with the flow and say, hey, they just aged 2 years/skipped 2 years.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, it's time for The Convenient Apartment. None of these kids seem to have any form of income, but they get a sweet apartment together and have all kinds of wacky antics. It doesn't really make sense why Chet would force Jack and Shawn to live together. "Here's your half-brother you barely know and totally dislike, go live with him and be happy!" He's a senior in high school, it's not really time for him to venture out on his own, but whatever.
    Begin the transition to the college years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Eric's housing so his parents are most likely paying for it as they would have his dorm. Also same for Jack that his dad is paying for his half and Shawn (I believe) doesn't pay any.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, this is the season where things begin to change a little bit. While the decline really doesn't start at all until season six, there are some incoming signs that Boy Meets World is going to start settling into its later seasons self:

    -The introduction of Jack.
    -Cory begins turning into somewhat of an asshole, although definitely not too noticeable.
    -Eric begins shifting into a wacky guy always up to wacky schemes and saying wacky things after two seasons of legitimizing his character.
    -The introduction of Angela. Although, I have to admit, this is definitely her best season.

    This episode is pretty good, and season five is actually still BMW in its prime (I Love You, Donna Karan, Raging Cory, The Eskimo, Heartbreak Cory, And Then There Was Shawn, If You Can't Be with the Love..., Eric Hollywood, Things Change, Graduation) with some classic episodes lodged in here, but it almost serves as a bridge between the first four seasons, which were more grounded and down to earth, and the last two seasons, which began to strip away some of the show's humanity and sensitivity.

    Also, one thing I noticed is that the 1997 half is pretty weak compared to the 1998 half. There was more of a balance with season four. Or maybe I just need to watch the episodes again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theme song is my ring tone :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really interesting to me to see this show through this perspective. For me, I first saw Boy Meets World around season 5, and I was about 9 years old and obsessed with teenagers and romance. So the Cory/Topanga relationship was farrrr more interesting to me than Shawn or Eric, but now looking back at it through this blog, I see what you mean about how those relationships are actually more central.

    Also, to me, this is THE Boy Meets World theme song. The one I knew and grew up with. It's kind of strange to see it through the eyes of someone who saw the first 4 seasons first, and then was like, "Wait, what is this new song?!"

    Last thought, unrelated to the above. Is this an American thing, living on campus when you go to school in the same city? Everyone I know lived with their parents during uni because it's SO much cheaper. (Except me because my family is super dysfunctional, but even I just rented a room in a regular house. It would've been super weird to live on campus in my own city. Dorms are just for out-of-town kids.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of colleges in the U.S. require freshmen to live on campus.

      Delete
    2. Really?! If you come from out of town that makes sense, to help guide you into your new city. But if you already live there, then why? It just sounds like extortion to force you to pay for housing when you have a perfectly free family home to stay in. Oh, I think I just answered my own question... Wow that is shady.

      Delete
  10. KMCY 14 zoomed off of Minot Television beside the ABC logo in the beginning of the KMCY Opening @ 6:00 pm in November 5 1996.

    ReplyDelete