Monday, March 10, 2014

Episode 3x04 "He Said, She Said"


Mr. Feeny's got some fruit/gift baskets. He explains to Eli that these baskets are from seniors, trying to bribe Feeny into writing better letters of recommendation for them. Has any college ever asked for a recommendation for undergraduate study? How could that possibly be worth anything? Whatever.


I will never understand these students' compulsion to hangout and study next to that big trash can behind Eli. Most of the time somebody's leaning on it. Baffling.

The esteemed principal strolls into Turner's classroom, presumably minutes before class starts as only a few students are seated, and informs Mr. Turner that Shawn Hunter missed his history exam that morning. Cory claims that Shawn's absence is due to being sick with "Hong Kong Sloth". Somehow Turner sees through Cory's deception, stating "That's it" as he walks out of the class, and then it cuts to him walking into his apartment to confront Shawn. Am I crazy or is that really irresponsible? He was about to teach a class. I always tell myself that Turner did a good job dealing with Shawn, but that... that wasn't good.

Anyway, Turner is tired of Shawn's shit and tells him he has to see a guidance counselor the next morning. Shawn is not on board with this plan.


Hey look, Shawn's hair isn't an abomination anymore. That's a relief.

This is good though, the most we've seen of Shawn this season is when he was trying to get to second base with that girl. Looks like we've got something more interesting here.

The next morning, Shawn and Cory meet the new guidance counselor, a perky woman in her 30s, played by an actress that I looked up but then forgot her name because she didn't do anything else. Her office was Feeny's office in the previous episode, and a bathroom in season 2. Where does the school find the budget for these renovations. And hey, the payphone is gone! Dammit, Boy Meets World.


Meanwhile, Eric approaches our old boy Griffin Hawkins and his trusty sidekick Frankie the Enforcer to purchase some stolen Feeny-stationary, the kind he uses to write letters of recommendation. Eric asks where they got it and Frankie answers "Let's just say it fell off a truck." The audience sort of half-laughs at that, it's pretty weak, and then this is never mentioned again. It's a bizarre sort of joke to make, I mean, did it actually fall off a truck? That sounds like the kind of thing that leads into "No, really, where?" "It fell off a truck." Or maybe it's a reference to a movie...? I dunno. It's odd.


I already loved Griff, but this just exchange just cemented it. He's a better thug than Harley in every way, and obviously a better actor. That's strangely relevant though, since Joey the Rat runs up and pulls Frankie aside to tell him that Harley is planning to bust out of his reform school and come back to John Adams High. Joey learned this while he was "surfing the internet, verbally pounding people", and he got a message from Harley. So there you have it folks. Joey the Rat invented internet trolling. I'm honestly stunned that the writers had the insight for that sort of joke all the way back in 1995. Awesome. Regardless, the two lackeys realize that only bad things can come from their former leader meeting their current leader.

Now we're privy to Shawn's meeting with the new guidance counselor. He explains that he's feeling lost, and the counselor's counseling contains the story of her trip to Europe to "find herself". Shawn's wearing that weird Atlas holding up an apple shirt again. I know it seems weird that I keep mentioning that, but he's honestly worn it like ten times now. That's unusual, for any show.


Back in the hallway it's Feeny+Eli again. Eli says his students wanted Mr. Feeny to narrate some of their video projects and Feeny agrees. I guess it'll be important later because it's not even remotely interesting to watch. The camera pans over to Frankie and Joey discussing how they've alerted Harley's reform school to his plan to pull a Shawshank Redemption, but it's too late. Harley's already broken out.


That is probably the funniest thing Frankie's ever said. He's talking to Joey, if that's not clear, saying "let's review this foolproof plan of yours." Witty. It's interesting how binary these guys are. Most of their jokes so far this episode haven't landed, but then other times like this it's just spot on. I think they're always at their best when they're being witty, like in 3x01 when they were selling tickets. Also, it's great to see the original Harley again. If you'll recall, they tried to give us that shitty replacement Hollister model Harley for an episode, and everybody in the studio knew it didn't work. It's good to have our boy back. Anyway, Joey's pager (required in the Griff administration) goes off, alerting Harley to the existence of their new leader, and the greasy haired man wants blood. It's kind of adorable, honestly, that he's so protective of his old lackeys. 


Somehow, Shawn has arranged a rendezvous with his best friend at Chubbie's at five in the morning. It's obviously nonsense but there's no reason to dwell on it. Shawn explains his plan to run away to Europe, Cory tries to talk him out of it, but as you should know by now, that's never gonna work. 

Back at the Matthews house, Eric is finishing up his forged letter of recommendation on the black market stationary. There's some really forced humor that doesn't stick at all, and then Alan rips up his son's forgery. Is that the end of that plotline? Why did Eric want the letter in the first place? What college has he even considered applying to? It's hilarious that Griff is running a black market for this stuff, but Eric doesn't really have any use for it right now. They probably wanted to do it later in the season, but this is the last episode with Griff for whatever reason, so I guess it was now or never.

In the hallway at school, Eli informs Feeny that the students have chosen Eli to do the voiceover for their projects, instead of Feeny. The principal is heartbroken and then they walk away from each other. And that's it. That's the end of that story. "Hey Feeny do some voiceover. Nah, I'm doin it instead." The writers felt like that was an okay thing to do. It wasn't funny or even relevant to anything at all. *scratches head* I dunno guys.


Cory runs into Turner's class to tell him Shawn's Stupid Shit Of The Day. Turner queries the guidance counselor and learns about her Europe story and puts 2 and 2 together. Even though Cory already knew everything. So that was unnecessary.

Finally the time has come for the high noon showdown between Harley Keiner and Griffin Hawkins, while Frankie and Joey watch in nail biting suspense. The two ringleaders have some comic book-esque witty banter, including the first direct insult toward Harley's bizarre grammar. I'm glad someone finally said something. Harley orders Frankie to commit an act of battery against Griff, but Frankie realizes his best option is to quit being a lackey for anybody, and he convinces Joey to do the same.


I told ya about that bromance. That's that real shit. Also, now that Griff is gone forever, I want to say again how incredible it is that Adam Scott had trouble finding steady roles for so long. This scene was one of his best, and it's blatantly obvious that he's just on a completely different level. Ah well. At least he's famous now. Harley's gone as well, but fear not, there is more of Frankie and Joey yet to come. But yeah, I've watched this scene so many times. I love it.

So that was by far the best plotline out of the four in this episode. Eric's was ultimately meaningless and Eli/Feeny's was entirely meaningless. Time to find out if Shawn is going to Europe.

He's not.

Thanks for reading, see you Wednesday.


Turner finds Shawn at the bus station with a ticket to Paris, TX. Shawn thought the TX "stood for tax". The two have a heart-to-heart and the English teacher explains to his young ward that he can come to him with these life problems of feeling lost, and that he cares about him and stuff, and Turner agrees to take Shawn to Europe over the summer if Shawn can get his grades up and stop skipping class. It's well written and, taken alone, it's a good ending, but in the context of the rest of the episode it's nonsense. To quote Mr. Turner, "how come you didn't come and talk to me about it?" GEE, I DON'T KNOW MR. TURNER, MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ORDERED HIM TO TALK TO THE GUIDANCE COUNSELOR. Neither of them seems to remember Turner's unwillingness to talk things through at the beginning of the episode.

 During the credits, Turner and the guidance counselor have eye sex while Shawn and Cory hash things out in the hall.


There was a whole lot crammed into this. Feeny+Eli should have been discarded completely, in favor of some more focus on Shawn. Maybe another session with the counselor. Anything to make it seem like he put more than five minutes of thought into going to Europe. Hell, Eric's plan to go backpacking in Europe with Jason back in season 2 got more attention than this. Eric's story was fun, and its primary purpose was to remind the audience that Griff exists and that he's still leading Frankie and Joey. After that, it fell pretty flat. On that note, though, the Griff vs Harley storyline is one of my favorite setups so far. Frankie and Joey have changed a lot since their introduction, and their new senses of self worth as independent non-lackeys parallels Shawn's desire to find himself, so it really just works from every angle.

Plot: 0.75 - Carried by the Enforcer and the Rat.

Character Development: 1.0 - Joey and Frankie, obviously, and even though Shawn has about fifty more crises like this, we can at least pretend that he made some progress.

Humor: 0.5 - The chemistry between Feeny and Eli is completely non existent. Every joke between them is a flop. The audience seems to think the guidance counselor is funny, but I think she's just hard to watch.

Life Lesson: 0 - Don't run away to Europe and don't be a lackey? I don't fuckin know.

2.25 out of 4.0. This season hasn't been scoring well so far. It feels a lot more sitcommy and less Boy Meets Worldy than season 2, and even season 1. And honestly, I've gotta chalk that up to the near-elimination of Alan from the show. Alan did so much to make this show powerful in the first two seasons, and they've abandoned it in favor of... I don't really know what. And what the fuck does the title have to do with anything.


Thanks for reading, see you Wednesday. I mean it this time.

Images used under Fair Use.



19 comments :

  1. I don't even remember the Eric plotline and Feeny/Eli plotline... that goes to show how forgettable they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "It fell off a truck" remark is a reference to generic "mob-speak" (which may never have been used). It's actually remarkable that you DIDN'T get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ yeah, that. I mean the mob speak part, not the remarkable part.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but the remarkable part too

      Delete
  3. Recommendation for undergraduate study? Yes colleges ask for those all the time. How old are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this almost 5 years later, but I am blasting through each entry, and I immediately scrolled to the comments after reading that line. Yes! Every college I applied to required at least one LoR.

      Delete
    2. Really? I had to get recommendations for my grad school applications, and for scholarships to undergrad, but not just to attend. I filled out a form, submitted my high school transcript, and that was that.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^Hey up there anonymous: I have gone to two very well respected colleges/universities for undergraduate study. Neither wanted letters of recommendation. They both wanted original essays. I'm sure if I decide to go to graduate school after I graduate in May, I will most likely need a letter of recommendation, but I did not for undergraduate studies and I started at John Carroll University in 2012 and transferred to Lake Erie College in 2013......so I don't think his age has anything to do with anything. Sort of like this comment because I highly doubt the anonymous who wrote the previous comment will ever actually read it....but I don't care. (had to delete and re-post this sucker because of a typo. You can't argue a point and then have a typo, it just loses all credibility)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look quite foolish, and let me tell you, we mean business here on Boy Meets World Reviewed.

      Delete
    2. I figured as much ;) PS you're basically ruining my life right now. I've been reading this website for about four hours straight when I have far more pressing matters to be attending to! For instance writing a research paper, and studying for two tests, and doing laundry. So thanks a lot. When I fail to make Dean's List this semester I'm pointing the finger at you.

      Delete
    3. Laura I agree that not all universities require letters of recommendation but a good amount do. half of the 6 schools I applied to required them so I was just surprised that Confidence was so surprised that some students might be asking for letters of recommendation. Either way, my original post was rude and I apologize.

      Delete
  6. "Drop that mango man!" - Best line in the history of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, and I've said this before, but "Train of Fools" is a great episode. It deserves a re-review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lastly, can re-reviews be a thing on here? This is my favorite site in the history of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I want a good laugh when I'm driving on my way to work I just think of Frankie saying "let us review". When I play it in my head while watching the gif it is much more deadpan (and hilarious) with no inflection in similar to how he delivers a lot of his lines. I was actually disappointed when I went back to watch this episode and he delivers it as "let us revieWWW". His delivery is based almost entirely on his dialect and it didn't jive for me on that one and probably why I never caught on to it prior to seeing it in a gif.

    ReplyDelete
  10. does anyone think this show pushed college too hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I think High Schools push college that hard... especially in the 90s. I remember our "guidance counselors" were really just recruiters for Purdue or IU (I went to high school in Indiana). Just BMW being true to life!

      Delete
  11. I, too, notice that shirt every time I rewatch this show. I wonder if it was on purpose. Shawn comes from a poor family. Rewearing clothes is a small detail that many shows would overlook (I think the cast wears different pants and shirts for every sinlge episode in most shows lol).

    ReplyDelete